The Underground -No.1


 

Hello!


First off, you're going to notice something a little different. The graphic at the top is something I made with Canva that is supposed to be like the newspaper in my WIP (Work-in- Progress) Drops of Inspira. In my WIP, The Underground is a newspaper for members of The Underground, a group of members of the resistance against the governor of Inspira who have had to go into hiding or risk imprisonment... or worse.

So, I thought I would name my little "life updates" in my blog after that with the goal of sometime in the not-too-distant future starting a newsletter with the same name.

So, without further ado, let's get to the updates.



Aha! You haven't seen this graphic in a while, have you? 

So... Life. 

This past year has been an absolute whirlwind. 

  • I've gone from a year at a toxic job to the job I left two years ago. It's been a change for the better in many respects. My memory is strengthening (I lost months of memory from the stress at my last two jobs), I have more time to dream and to think about the future, more time to write and more time with family and friends. Overall, I think it's been a good change.


  • I am in the process of cleaning out all my old electronics that have stopped working or are very near there. I have retired the Macbook I received in 2009 as a graduation-from-high school present and my old Kindle Fire. I'm using another Kindle Fire I received as a library reading contest prize a few years ago. It's old, but it runs better than the former one. 


  • I got a new laptop last week! It's an Acer. Historically, I've been an HP gal, but for the sake of finances and the desperate need to find a light-weight traveling computer for writing and editing, I made the move to Acer. I've named it Imaya after an Android in a WIP I am brainstorming. I still have my 17 inch monster, Mamba Jamba, but now she'll be retired to the home for when I have to do things like the occasional video or photo edit. 

  • I'm looking into "going back to school" and taking some graphic design classes and some editing classes (like book editing, not film editing, although I suppose I should brush up my skills on that too). I'm just waiting for the programs to get their schedules together for the new year.

  • I've also got a few doctors appointments scheduled for the new year. I've been avoiding them like the plague, but now it is coming to a head, and I need to go. Not trying to look too far ahead and freak out about all the expenses while trying to be good and save for them.




I set a goal of reading/ listening to 110 books this year. I've read 94 so far, so I still have 16 left. I don't think I'll make it unless I read a ton of picture books or children's books. I'm going to give it my best shot though.

I'm currently reading:


  • Retribution by C.E. Stone
  • The Advent of Glory by R.C. Sproul
  • Morning and Evening by Charles Spurgeon
I'm currently listening to:
  • A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
  • Slaves of Socorro by John Flanagan
I might have to read those smaller books to attain my goal.


I stopped officially making goals after 2020 destroyed that idea. So, I unofficially made two goals. 

  • I made a loose goal to workout more.
  • The other goal, (which I just stated) is to read 110 books. 

How did I do?

Well, I'm still working on reading those books, but I have been exercising almost everyday except for Sundays for most of the year. I am not slim and trim, but I'm doing much better than if I just sat around all day ( which sounds nice, but the results are pretty bad).




Stress and a toxic job pretty much shipwrecked my writing for this year. I didn't give up although I thought about it at times. 

I limped along, chipping away at two WIPs and made some good progress. 

My main WIP, Harbinger is still in the rewriting phase, but I'm hoping to get some serious work on it done in the new year.

Drops of Inspira is moving along splendidly. I'm working on the second book, Drop and it's nearing the midpoint. There is so much chaos and drama going on as it all slides downhill to a big reveal both at the midpoint and the climax. Now, if my characters would cease peeling off to the sides and committing shenanigans, everything would be fine.


As stated before, I'm thinking about taking classes in graphic design and line editing during the new year. I'm excited to broaden my skillset and dive into new realms.

What I did NOT mention, was that I really want to crochet more. Except that I now have two finished crocheted blankets and if I were to make another, I would have to store it somewhere. I'm trying to figure out how to make another while finding a home for it that isn't my home.



  • I finished my second crocheted blanket with heavier, softer yarn. 

  • I've picked up painting with acrylics. I mostly just try to copy Pinterest art reels the best I can, but I did do a still life painting of a bunch of flowers and it didn't come out too bad!

  • My sister and I started a small photography business and photography account on Instagram! We're still figuring out the kinks, but it's been a blast. I handle writing the posts and she takes the pictures. She's a pretty fantastic photographer! Here we are: 3H Photography





What is coming down the tracks?

  • A new blogging series in the new year. 

  • More art. Because I can't stop creating.

  • Very possibly a newsletter. I want to be able to write updates like this in a newsletter format, so I am doing research on that.

  • A new blogging format. I might be moving in the new year. Not quite sure where, but I'm outgrowing blogger. I need more tools to make the layout look better.

  • Possibly a writing retreat or a writing conference or both. It depends on finances.

This is all I got for right now, but be sure to keep an eye out.

Until next time...

Julia Garcia / Arysta Henry


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NaNoWriMo Know Your Novel Introduction

NaNoWriMo Know the Novel: Introduction

Hello, 2022!