NaNoWriMo: Know the Novel Link-Up: Introduction


 


*Happy squeak!* I am so excited to be joining Christine Smith in her Know the Novel link-up for writers in this festive season of the year. What festive season, you may ask? Why, NaNoWriMo season, of course! *Flings glitter.* Many years ago, I did my first NaNo and started my wild ride or writing and an intense commitment to the craft that has lasted until this very day. (Hopefully it doesn't end here. That would be tragic, and while I do love a good tragedy, I would like for my life not to be tragic. Thank you very much.) *Pull self out of hole she fell in.* Ahem.... Where were we? Oh yes. The link-up. Moving forward.

October is the month where we introduce our NaNoWriMo projects to the world, so in the spirit of that, here is my introduction post.

KNOW THE NOVEL PART ONE: INTRODUCTION:

Introducing: Drop, book #2 of my Drops of Inspira trilogy.


Q 1: What first sparked the idea for this novel?

A: I actually featured the first book for this link-up series a few years ago back in 2019, so I will reiterate my answer here. The inspiration for this series came from a question: "Where does Writer's Block come from?" And then it took off from there. What was meant to be a little joke on the subject, turned out into a monster of an idea that decided it needed to be a trilogy. 
What idea in particular sparked Drop? A very vivid mental image of a falling drop of ink, but not just any ink. This ink has the power to create and change the world.

Q 2: Share a blurb!

A: So, this isn't too spoilery since you all don't know quite what happened at the end of book 1, so I don't see why I can't share my blurb-in-training with you. (Blurb is still in beginning stages so that's why he's in training. He appreciates your patience.)

Blurb:

Last December, 16-year-old Elizabeth Anne Tolliver (Tolliver)  and Detective Warren Ross fled to the Underground to escape the search for the Writers, but the Underground isn't what either of them expected. Sickness and treachery run rife through the organization of inventors and young Writers. It's only a matter of time before the Underground falls apart.
James Rupert Quinn is convinced that the Writers have caused the Blotting Sickness and has made it his mission to round up and execute all he can find or force them to help heal Inspira, but shadows haunt the Governor's mansion. Not everyone is who they seem to be and the enemy may be a friend.

Q 3: Where does the story take place? What are some of your favorite aspects about the setting?

A: The story takes place in the world of Inspira, a city created by ink and imagination that borrows some aspects from Edwardian London and early France. Inspira is a land without bright colors, music, and other artistic things that give color and life to our world. It's not that they don't exist, it's just that they belong to the governor and to the governor alone. After all, he's the one that made this world, accidentally pulling in others from his own world and filling it with Inklings, people made out of ink, imagination and very little liquid inspiration. 

One of the newer areas I get to explore with Drop is the Underground. Like its name, the Underground is quite literally underground. It's a maze of tunnels and catacomb-like rooms and meeting spaces that house what is left of the city's creatives that won't bow to the governor's whims. It sits under a place called Gavril Court, where the poorest of the poor live and dwell. 

Q 4: Tell us about your protagonist (s).

A: Have I mentioned that there's three of them? Well, now I suppose I have.

  • Warren Ross: Ross is an ex-detective and a native Inspiran, which means that unlike the Inklings, he was created with a full blend of Writer's ink, imagination and liquid inspiration. He's introverted, but will fight to protect those he loves and sticks up for what he believes is right, even if it puts him in danger. His life goal is to protect his friend's daughter, Tolliver, and find her parents' killer before they strike again.
  • Elizabeth Anne Tolliver: First off, she goes by her last name. Her first name is too prim and proper for her, although she will allow her friend, Lewis to call her Lizzy, but he's the only one who gets to call her that. She's a chaotic, extroverted teen Writer who loves peanut butter, coffee, climbing high buildings and basically anything that almost gives Ross a heart attack. Her reckless behavior nearly got her and her friends killed at the end of Tear. Will she learn to slow down and think of the consequences before acting any time soon? Probably not, but we can hope.
  • James Rupert Quinn: James is a shy, introverted Writer who would love nothing more than to shut himself into his room all day and finish his stories, but his controlling uncle won't have it. Recently, he's been told that the other Writers (those who have access to Writer's ink and can write things into being) are the cause for the dreaded Blotting Sickness, a horrible disease that makes you disappear slowly until there is nothing left. He's made it his mission to track down the other Writers and either force them to heal Inspira or kill them.

Q 5: Who (or what) is the antagonist?

A: James Quinn pulls double-duty as both protagonist and antagonist. Poor man has a lot on his plate. 

Q 6: What excites you most about this novel?

A: Well, how about the whole thing? *Nervous laugh.* Honestly, I've been looking forward to writing this since finishing the first draft of Tear early last year. I don't know if I can boil it down to just one thing, but I'm loving the emerging themes of valuing the life of others, identity and selfishness vs. selflessness. Also.... *Explodes with glee.* I just found out in a bit of pre-NaNo planning that I will be writing my first wedding scene! *Squeal!* I'm so excited!

Q 7: Is this going to be a series? A standalone? Something else?

A: So, Drop is book two of the Drops of Inspira trilogy. Apparently, I cannot write anything short, but I'm okay with that.

Q 8: Are you plotting? Pantsing? Plantsing?

A: So, here's the thing. I am doing a fair bit of plotting for the rest of October, at least as much as my schedule will allow, but then I'm cutting the ropes loose and plantsing this thing. I'm using a lovely program called The Novel Factory to plan it out. I'm ready to jump in and go trailblazing. 


Q 9: Name a few things that make this story unique.

A: Words have power; use them wisely. a world-wide curse enacted by the death of a fairy, a disease that makes a person disappear little by little, magic ink that makes characters come to life, a secret newspaper, disappearing ink, Writer protagonists, learning to find joy in the midst of trouble, a mysterious person with a ship that could travel through the seas of time (if only it worked). 

Q 10: Share a fun "extra" of the story (a song or full playlist, some aesthetics, a collage, a Pinterest board, a map you've made, a special theme you're going to incorporate, ANYTHING you want to share!). 

A: I haven't made any new aesthetics for this one mostly due to my work on edits for my main WIP (which will continue through next month. So, basically, I'm sort of pulling a double NaNo? Rebelling for the win!), but I've continued to update my Spotify playlist for the series, so here it.


And here. Have a snippet which I can't wait to put in its proper place. 

["What do you do with a threat?" He paused. "You cull them."
 "But sir, they're people. Harmless innocents."
"So?" He leaned forward, hands gripping the armrests like ivory talons. "My sister was innocent. Look at the monster she spawned." His gaze flicked to {Name redacted}. ]


So, tell me.... Are you joining NaNoWriMo this next month? (No judgement if you're not. It's a crazy month without trying to write 50k words.) If you are doing it, consider joining Christine Smith's link-up. Part one closes midnight on October 31st, 2021. 

I'll be back next month with a regular posting schedule and the next part of the link-up. Thank you for reading, and happy writing!

- Julia Garcia / Arysta Henry

Comments

  1. OH OH. I remember you sharing about this one a couple of years ago! And just *SHRIEKS* It's such a good idea I can't even! I am ecstatic to hear you'll be writing book 2!!! :D But seriously, a world made of ink and inspiration and where things can be written into being? Best. Idea. EVER. I love everything about this so insanely much! These characters sound soooo fun too! Tolliver reminds my of my own character, Aelin, who causes so much chaos. Gotta love those chaotic girls! And I'm so intrigued about James being both protagonist AND antagonist?? :O

    THIS IS JUST AMAZING. SO SO AMAZING. The whole concept and world you've built here is pure brilliance!

    Thank you for always joining the linkup! I adore reading about your epic stories. I do hope you have the BEST NaNo yet! (Less than a week away! *more shrieking*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *SHRIEKS with you* Aw!! THANK YOU, CHRISTINE!!!! Reading your enthusiasm for my book child makes me even more excited. :3 I'm ecstatic about getting to dive back into this world. Having to have to wait even this long has been agonizing, but good to let all the ideas percolate. I feel like it's just bursting at the seams.

      Thank you!!!! *beams* Hope you have the BEST NaNo too! *flails at the thought of it being less than a week away* AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Delete
  2. Whoa, everything about this sounds AMAZING! I love the whole concept—it's so unique and cool and myterious!

    Hope you have a wonderful NaNo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jameson! I'm having fun writing it. :)

      Delete
  3. Your novel sounds awesome! :) And I love the sound of Inspira, it sounds like a beautiful place to set a story in.
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Quinley! I'm having a blast writing it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hello, 2022!

NaNoWriMo Know Your Novel Introduction

Finding Magic in the Day-to-Day