Thankful in Every Season


 Hello!

Thank you for joining me for another Monday!

Today I'm discussing another area I feel woefully inadequate to write about: being thankful in every season. 

When I was thinking about which aspect of thankfulness to write about this week, I really hoped to write about something a little more cliché. Something more happy. Something easier to write about. But as I thought more about it, the theme of being thankful in every season kept coming up. Songs about it kept playing on my Spotify. It came up in conversations with my friends. It came up in my prayer journal early, early this morning (like 2:30 early. Hello insomnia.). And it came up this morning.

Being thankful is easier when the sun is out, the sky is blue and things are going our way. It's easier when there is plenty to eat and when our bank accounts aren't running on empty. It's a lot harder when we're sinking under depression, running from anxiety, sobbing in choking grief, our pantries are running empty (or are empty already) and our bank accounts are in the same place.

During 2020, I lost my job due to the Pandemic. Twice. I know a lot of other people lost their jobs then two. Some lost loved ones. Some lost their homes. Things looked pretty bleak.

All across this world, there are many instances where we're tempted to grumble, complain and give into despair. But instead, we must give thanks. And I know that is incredibly hard.

Back in 2020, my former pastor said something that really made me stop and think (and he does this a lot, but this hit me in a very personal way.) He said that he thanks God that he has depression and anxiety because they make him draw closer to God. Without God, he would be very arrogant and try to do things on his own that only God can do, but his mental illnesses make it so that he constantly sees his need for God. We all need God, but it's not always very evident.

I struggle a lot with both depression and anxiety and so this statement really hit home. I'd never thought about being thankful for my mental illnesses. That was as far away from my thoughts as ever thinking that I could just sprout wings and fly away to New Zealand. I didn't think it was even possible or that it was right. Why would I be thankful for something that hurts me? It didn't make sense. But when my pastor put it that way, it made me realize that it is indeed possible. 

You see, being thankful in all seasons isn't just about drawing closer to God (although, for me at least, that is a large part of it), but it's also a switch of mindset. It gives you a reason to look out of the box that you might feel trapped in and see the sky. 
I'm not saying go around with your head in the clouds thinking everything is wonderful. I'm a recovering cynic. I'm still digging the hardcore skeptic out of my gut. 

What I am saying is that it is possible to be thankful during these circumstances and that being thankful and finding reasons to give thanks might just be the things that help you to find happiness.

Until next time...

Julia Garcia / Arysta Henry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NaNoWriMo Know Your Novel Introduction

NaNoWriMo Know the Novel: Introduction

Hello, 2022!