Tilling the Earth


 Hello!

Today I want to discuss what I mean by the phrase, "tilling the earth."

In the farming world, it's the stage that someone takes before you actually plant seeds. It's the breaking up of ground, the pulling out of weeds and the removing of rocks and boulders. It's hard work! But it's necessary.

There are areas in our life that seem monotonous. We would rather do anything but be in these places. Given the chance, we would run. 

I'm in a season where I'm tilling the earth. The job I am at, I once thought of as a blessing, but it's been very hard. Most days, I want to run. I'd rather do anything but be where I am.

This Thursday, I got hit with a weird sickness out of nowhere. It drained my energy and forced me to rest. I didn't get the message. I did everything that I could to get up and move on with my day. I had just started a new exercise program. This sickness came at an inconvenient time! I had work to do, writing to do and gosh darn it, I would let nothing stop me! At least I thought so.

At the time of writing this, I'm over the sickness, but still drained by the exhaustion that came with it. There are hundreds of things I want to do, but I'm struggling to do one thing. I don't like this "tilling the earth."

So, I am taking a moment to breathe. To pause. And to wonder. Every moment has magic in it. Even tilling the earth. I am learning things, building up areas in my life that wouldn't be possible if I skipped this stage. And perhaps that's where the magic in these ordinary moments is. 

So, this week, I want to leave you with a couple of questions: Are you in an area of life where you are tilling the earth? And, are you wanting to run from this stage of life, or are you willing to take time to pause and listen to what this time of life is trying to teach you?

I never thought I'd say this, but hard work is magic. The things we don't want to do, are often the things that we need to do. Sometimes, the hard things are sticking with a job that you dislike for a season, and sometimes, the hard things are learning to rest. 

Whatever tilling the earth looks like for you, don't rush through it. Tilling the earth is hard, but it will be worth it in the end.


Until next time....

Julia Garcia / Arysta Henry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NaNoWriMo Know Your Novel Introduction

NaNoWriMo Know the Novel: Introduction

Hello, 2022!