5 Audiobooks I Enjoyed Last Year

 


Hello!

After much consideration, I have decided to talk about just five audiobooks I listened to last year since June 2021 instead of listing every single one I have listened to since then. Life is busy, and I wanted to get this post out before summer faded to fall, so here we go.

*Note: These aren't listed in any specific order.

1. 


I've known about this book for some time. It's a favorite of several of my friends, but since I now read at a snail's pace because of life circumstances and the crazy job, I finally decided to listen to an audiobook version of this. 
My word. Nothing my friends had said quite prepared me for the breathtaking scope and beauty of this. Cinderella in space with cybernetics? Not usually my cup of tea, but somehow this book managed to capture my attention.

Fascinating to read or listen to: High.
Possible questionable content: Yes.
Story epicness: High
Sensuality: Fair to middling.

2. 

So, I don't think this was the actual version we listened to as a family. That one my dad found on Spotify, so I never saw the cover for it. My dad, never having read the book, found an unabridged adaption and played it while we set up the Christmas tree and untangled lights. We actually finished up tree activities before this was finished, but we all loved it so much that we continued to listen to it until finished. 

Classic read: 10/10
Story epicness: High
Became smarter just from listening to this: High probability.


3. 


A death in an airplane, a stray wasp, a blowpipe and snake venom... What do they all have in common? Clues in an intriguing case of murder. A murder committed under Detective Hercule Poirot's very nose.

This story was a whirlwind of fun. It was fun to try to guess who out of the people on the aircraft could have committed the crime. My suspicions were wrong. At one time I came close, but liked the person so much that I passed them by. Such a good book to listen to!

*This review was copied almost word for word from my review on Goodreads.com.

Fascinating read: Absolutely!
Story epicness: High
Would listen to/read again: You betcha! 

4. 

This book... For once, I properly guessed the murderer, but then found that they were only the shadow villain.


This book is unconventional in so many ways. The main character isn't really likeable. He's very much a man of the world, selfish and always chasing the next thrill. I never really connected with him because of that, but the story was so twisty and convoluted that you couldn't help but stay glued to your seat as you watched the horrors unfold.

This story is more gothic than any of Christie's books I've read or listened to so far. It's a darker tale, one suitable for Halloween or just if you're ready to read something really creepy. Warning: do not read or listen to at night. Just don't.
 

*Another of my Goodreads reviews.

Creepy level: 7

Characters with highly questionable morals: A fair bit. Looking at you, main character.

Story epicness: Middling.

5. 


This was probably my least favorite of the audiobooks I listened to last year. It was well told and kept me on the edge of my seat, but this Little Red Riding Hood retelling had some content that gave me much too visual a picture than I needed.

Language level: Fair to middling.
Sensuality: Sometimes far and away too much. 
Violence: More than I was expecting.
Story epicness: High.

And that concludes this post!

- Julia Garcia / Arysta Henry



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NaNoWriMo Know Your Novel Introduction

NaNoWriMo Know the Novel: Introduction

Hello, 2022!