The Bookend to 2021: A Bookish Post





Happy New Year's Eve!

I've actually been working on this post for three days now. Between recovering from a cold and battling Wi-fi problems because of bad weather, it's been a journey. I hope wherever you are, that you are well and that the weather is good.

This is my yearly "bookish" awards post where I choose the top 5 books that I read this year and the top reads in certain other categories. This was really, really hard this year. There were a lot of contenders, so while this is a bookish awards post, know that this list is very limited so far as having all my favorites up here. If you want to see what I mean, follow this link to see all my 2021 reads: GoodReads Challenge 2021 Link





 

In no certain order, my top 5 reads of 2021 are:


Cry of the Raven by Morgan L. Busse


Romanov by Nadine Brandes

Oath of the Outcast by C.M. Banschbach




The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner





What Is and Could Be by Katelyn Buxton


Here are some special mentions:

Most Influential Theological Book:




 

Gentle and Lowly by Dane C. Ortlund is a book my adopted aunt and I went through over the autumnal months. I was hesitant to go through this book when my aunt recommended it to me, but I'm so glad I decided to go through it. 



Favorite Anthology:


Timely anthology by The Phoenix Fiction Writers was an anthology I looked forward to read since I found out that it was coming out earlier in the year. This anthology featured stories from two friends and their stories quickly made it to my top favorites in the anthology.


Favorite Writing Craft Book:


Creating Character Arcs by K.M. Weiland was the writing craft book I didn't know that I needed to read. However, if you want to go further in depth than just the standard positive and negative arcs, I recommend that you buy the print version of the workbook. That workbook goes into depth of all the different positive and negative arcs. Definitely worth the buy.



Favorite Short Story:


Healer's Bane by Hope Ann is a lovely little story about a brother and sister team, about hope and light in the darkness in the middle of a dystopian-ish type world. I've read this story about three times now and every time I find a new gem.



Favorite Children's Book:


Miss Rumphius by Barbara Cooney is a favorite childhood read. I love the challenge to help find ways to make the world more beautiful, if only in a small way.



Favorite Classic:


Hamlet by William Shakespeare is an old favorite, and by old favorite, I mean like before-highschool-favorite. This is a book that has influenced my own writing, and so when one of my classes picked this book to read, I was thrilled that I got to revisit it.



Favorite Novel:


What Is and Could Be by Katelyn Buxton came out later this year, but it was by no means late in claiming my heart. This Victorian-ish book is full of heart and soul, whimsy and charm, the perfect book to read when you're feeling lonely or just in need of some high quality bookish friends. 


Favorite Re-Read:


Empire of Blood by Olivia Cornwell is a book I make no secret of loving with all my heart. I read it twice this year and could hardly wait to re-read it the second time. I'm finding I really love reading books with a sibling cast. The fact that it is a fantasy book only makes it better. There are a few books that when you read them, it feels like you've come home. This book is one of them.


Favorite Poetry Book:


This Poem is a Weapon by Bethany A. Jennings is a small book of poetry, but it really is a weapon. It's a weapon against despair, against hopelessness, and the lies we tell ourselves every day. It's raw, it's honest and it's beautiful.



Well, that's it! I've surpassed my Goodreads goal of 90 books this year. Next year, I want to try for 100. That would be thrilling! Yesterday, I wrote up my written TBR list, and I think there's about 160 books on it. There's no way I'm going to read them all, but I'll certainly make a dent in it. 

So now I'm turning this over to you, reader. Have you read any of these books? If so, what did you think of them? See any you want to add to your own TBR list this next year?

Have a happy New Year's Eve and a blessed New Year. Talk to you all in 2022!







Comments

  1. My favorite re-read is Empire of Blood by Olivia Cornwell. Good list. Well done. Happy New Years!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

NaNoWriMo Know Your Novel Introduction

NaNoWriMo Know the Novel: Introduction

Hello, 2022!