Poetry 15th, May 2021

 


Hello!

 It's the last couple of weeks of the semester for me. One of the re-occurring themes we've been discussing is identity. What makes us who we are? 

 In a discussion board, we had to answer the question: does our occupation define us? Honestly, the question made me mad. I've gone through so many different jobs since I started working at 16, and if I changed identities as many times as I changed occupations, I would be an even more insecure wreck than I am now. 

 I don't like the question because it places limits on who I am. It tries to stick me in a box and diagnose me. The rebel in me hates that. Before I get completely run away with the topic, let me give you this month's prompt.

This month's poetry prompt is:


Okay, so what does a mirror have to do with the subject of identity? Well, let me just tell you with my response to the above prompt. I tried to fit it on a nice and pretty graphic, but it wouldn't fit. How appropriate....


Broken

by 

Julia Garcia

I'm trapped in a world of mirrors,

Where all I see is the brokenness that is me,

A world where I am told,

That I should reflect differently.

I should be other than what I am,

reflecting society,

but that's not who I am.


I'm a different dimension,

A fathomless whirlpool of emotions,

An ocean of mysteries

and you want to contain me in a bucket,

but I don't fit.


Every now and then,

I open the portal,

and show you what I hide,

but I've been told,

I'm wrong,

you're right,

So excuse me,

if I close the portal tight.


I should know by now,

that my dimension is too frightening,

you cannot but sink,

so I'll wait for the explorer,

who's not afraid of me.


I'm shattering these mirrors,

breaking free of this mold,

embracing my brokenness,

because that is where I'm whole.


Glittering wings of bravery,

Learning how to fly,

I belong to a different world,

And that is why on paper-thin wings,

I am taking to the skies.



As always, please feel free to use the prompt for your own creativeness, whether that's a picture, a poem or something else.


Until next time....

-Julia Garcia / Arysta Henry

Comments

  1. Ooooh, this is so pretty! I love how powerful it is and how in the last couple lines make me think of a butterfly with mirrored wings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Azelyn! A butterfly with mirrored wings does sound beautiful! It's funny that you mention that, because I often think about my growth process as going from a caterpillar to a butterfly. I think I'm at the point where I'm emerging from the cocoon and my wings are still wet, but they're getting stronger!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

NaNoWriMo Know Your Novel Introduction

NaNoWriMo Know the Novel: Introduction

Hello, 2022!