The Bookend to 2020: A Bookish Post

 

Happy New Year's Eve! 

If you're like me, you've been getting the days wrong. I can't believe it's the last day of 2020. Are we sure it isn't December 29th? Honestly, where did the time go? I remember thinking this year was at least ten years rolled into one, but here at the end, it really seems like a shorter year. I guess just a lot happened. 

So this post is kind of like bookish awards where I choose my top five reads of the year overall and the top reads in certain categories. I've included links to my Goodreads reviews for the top five in case you wanted to see what I thought of them.  So here we go... 






In no particular order, my top 5 reads are:


 Empire of Blood by Olivia Cornwell


The Geppetto Codex by Kyle Robert Shultz

 The Drowned Vault by N.D. Wilson


Flight of the Raven by Morgan L. Busse



 You Who? by Rachel Jankovic

These are the top five that stuck in my mind throughout the whole year, but here are some special mentions:

Most Influential Theological Book:

 Yup. This one again. For being a read I originally didn't think much of when I started reading it, it's one I'd read again. And again.

Favorite Anthology:

 Of Monsters and Myth is an anthology by the Phoenix Fiction Writers. They just celebrated their third anniversary! Click on the link to visit their website and check them out. They have so many good books and are just all around amazing people. The Phoenix Fiction Writers

Favorite Writing Craft Book:

 A is for Arsenic: the poisons of Agatha Christie  by Kathryn Harkup. Okay, technically this isn't a "writing" book but it's writing research. Close enough. 

Favorite Short Story:

 Tyra by Jaye L. Knight features the only wolf that I like: Tyra. I've been terrified by wolves since I was small, but Tyra is special.

Favorite Children's Book:

 The Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister is my favorite children's book. I read it so many times when I was a kid. I got my own copy this year to read to my little nephew when he comes over.

Favorite Classic:

 I got to read Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen in my British Literature class this year, and I had a ball! The entire class totally nerded out over this, and there were a lot of debates on the characters. 

Favorite Novel:






Yeah... There are two. I couldn't pick between them. 

Last year there was a favorite poetry book, but I didn't read any this year so we'll have to see what happens in 2021. 

That's it! I made it over my Goodreads Goal this year so I'm gearing up for next year. I've gotten my written TBR list ready. I think there's 185 books for next year? I'm being very optimistic. I might get to 85. We shall see.

Tell me reader. have you read any of these books? What did you think? Do you do the Goodreads Reading Challenge? Did you participate this year? How did you do? 

Happy New Year's Eve and Happy New Year! Talk to you all next year!






-Julia Garcia/ Arysta Henry






Comments

  1. I recently ordered a copy of the Geppetto Codex, and I'm still waiting for it to arrive. *stares longingly at mailbox* I loved Of Myth and Monster! Happy New Year! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh! I can't wait to hear your thoughts! Ah! Of Myth and Monster was so good! Do you have a favorite story?
      HAPPY NEW YEAR!

      Delete
    2. A favorite story? Oh, man, I don't know. Of the ones that stick in my mind, I remember H.E.R.O. and Lamp of Silver the most, but I loved them all! How about you?

      Delete
    3. Those were really good! My favorite was Nate Philbrick's "Aura", but I also enjoyed "Mistakes Were Made" by Hannah Heath, "The Boy Who Listened" by Kyle Robert Shultz, "H.E.R.O." by Beth Wangler, "The Gods of Troy" by E.B. Dawson and "The Lamp of Silver" by Grace Crandall. They each hit something that I've been mulling over in the past year and even now. Questions that need answers, if not deep thought.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

NaNoWriMo Know Your Novel Introduction

NaNoWriMo Know the Novel: Introduction

Hello, 2022!