5 Things I Love About Autumn

 


Hello and happy Autumn!

I know that it's been a new season for a bit now, but last month was busy. Anyway, I had originally planned on celebrating Autumn this month.

I'm going to get right down to it. Here are five things I love about Autumn.


1. The Colors

Where I live, the leaves change colors. At the peak of the season, the mountains are covered in orange, red and gold. It's spectacular!

 There's a piece of road right around where I live, where the tree branches arch overhead. Walking through there is like walking through a cathedral. It's glorious, especially in the late afternoon when the sun is going down. The light catches the leaves and turns everything to a reddish gold. 

 It's lovely taking a walk during this season. At the far end of a five-mile stretch, there's a tree with heart-shaped leaves that turns into a beautiful conflagration of red. 

2. The Weather

The temperatures dip to the low seventies and sixties this time of year in my part of the world. This means I get to use all my blankets and wear the coats that have been in my closet all summer. 

 As a bonus, it typically rains more at this time of the year than it does the other parts of the year and nice, thick layers of fog blanket the ground. Perfect for an early morning walk.


3. Pumpkin Pie

Here's a little known fact: Until I was sixteen, I didn't like any other pie except pumpkin. Apple? Wrong consistency. Rhubarb? Gross. Berry? Not even going to try it. Then I got brave and tried blueberry pie and loved it. What am I going to say? Kids are fickle.

About five years ago, I came across this recipe for a Heavenly Honey Pumpkin Pie and then changed it with eggnog to make an eggnog pumpkin pie. It's the best thing in the world.


4.  Thanksgiving

I come from a large family. Thanksgivings are crazy. We used to spend every Thanksgiving at my aunt and uncle's house, but now we switch off every other year. My mom makes a mean sweet potato casserole, homemade cranberry sauce, string beans with garlic and onions, mashed potatoes and her dad's stuffing. My dad and mom both work on the turkey and sometimes there's ham. We finish the feast with a couple of pies, one of which is my eggnog pumpkin pie.

The Saturday following, my small town hosts a Christmas tree lighting with a Nativity play and Santa Claus. There's Christmas caroling and the whole town is decorated with lights and pretty garlands. There's usually an enormous crowd, so I stay home, but I have gone at least once or twice.

5. Hot chocolate

I enjoy making hot chocolate with a brick of good chocolate, vanilla, cinnamon and almond/coconut milk. I've recently discovered cashew milk and macadamia nut milk, so I'm excited to try making it with those milks this year. 

 Before dairy started messing with my stomach, I would cover the top of my cocoa with whipped cream and add sprinkles. Because I could. Now I just cover it with mini marshmallows. 


So these are my top five reasons I love Autumn. Did any of yours make the list? What are some things you love to do in this season?


Until next time...

-Julia Garcia/ Arysta Henry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello, 2022!

NaNoWriMo Know Your Novel Introduction

Finding Magic in the Day-to-Day