Poetry 15th, July 2020 and My First Poetrversary



Today marks one entire year since I first launched Poetry 15th on this blog, so it's my 1st Poetrversary. Yay! 
I remember being very uncertain when I first started this. It's scary to put yourself out into the wide world. Especially for this introvert, but it's been rewarding. Little by little I'm letting go of fear and letting these paper-thin wings take flight.


What is Poetry 15th? For those who are new to this thing, every fifteenth of the month, at roughly 2:30 PST, I drop a poetry prompt and a corresponding poem on this blog. Whether you use the prompt, it's up to you. You can use it to make your own poem or inspire some other creative endeavor. 

Here is the prompt for this month:


There you have it. Now I'll confess, I don't particularly enjoy the ocean. Too many unknowns hiding down in the depths, but I do like being there, walking on the beach, collecting shells, occasionally boating and dipping my toes in the surf. The ocean is powerful and awe-inspiring. It's been the source of many works of art and has been an inspiration for mine.

Here is my response:


I've had a few setbacks over the past few months. Yesterday, I lost my job again because of new government mandates for COVID-19. I felt like my feet had been swept out from underneath me and I'd plunged under a wave. Thankfully, some wonderful friends have come alongside me and helped me to stand back up.

Earlier this month, I redid the tiny corkboard full of inspirational quotes on my wall. One quote seemed out of place: "No Rain, No Flowers." Now it makes sense.

I know these times have been difficult and I'm not the only one that feels as if they've been sucked under a wave. I want to encourage those of you who feel as if you've lost your footing to get back up and try again. Reach out to those around you. These waves can't keep you under forever.

All the best,
-Arysta Henry/Julia Garcia



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NaNoWriMo Know Your Novel Introduction

NaNoWriMo Know the Novel: Introduction

Hello, 2022!