NaNoWriMo Know the Novel: Part 2: Within the WIP



Okay, I'm not going to lie. This month has been chaotic in the best sense of the word, but writing itself has been my safe spot in a whirlwind world. Here are some questions for the second part of Christine Smith's "Know the Novel" linkup I'm taking part in.
 So without further ado, here we go!

Q 1. How's the writing going overall?

If you've ever been on a roller coaster, you'll be familiar with the "hills." This month has been a lot like a roller coaster. There have been times when writing has been easy and then there's been times in what I like to call "the slog."
 If anyone has read John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress, they'll be familiar with the "Slough of Despond."


Image result for the slough of despond
Art by:
George Woolliscroft Rhead, Frederick Rhead and Louis Rhead

When I refer to "the slog", most of the time this is what I picture. It's been a fight to write my daily word count and keep going to not fall behind. The characters have been fighting me at every turn and refusing to move when they're told to. 

Q 2. What's been the most fun aspect about writing this novel so far? 

Oh, boy. Where do I start? I know! I'll give you three things. Three is my favorite random number.


  •      The characters. These stubborn characters (bless their fictional hearts), have surprised me by going off the beaten path and doing their own things. I'm loving the way they stick up for each other and how they show compassion, even to people who hate them. It's very inspiring to me!


  •      The setting. The setting is based in part (big emphasis on the "in part") on Edwardian England, but it's not there. It may borrow some elements, but it's definitely got its own thing going on. I'm learning more about this world as I write (plantser! he he) and one of my favorite things I've just learned is that it rains quite frequently in Inspira and that's where they get the source of their water. Also, there's a river in the middle of the city that leads to seemingly nowhere. It exits the city, but no one is allowed on the boats except for the people that bring supplies in. 

  •    My writing system. Okay, this is still in the works, and I'm not talking about my writing routine. Inspira was created by a writer and now all writing is outlawed. That's not to say there aren't writers in hiding, but they don't have access to the ink that can create things. Some use pencils and others use homemade ink. There's even an underground newspaper! I'm loving this!

Q 3. What do you think of your characters at this point? Who's your favorite to write about?

I LOVE my characters! All of them, good and evil alike. Some of them aren't as fleshed out as I'd like them to be, but we're working on that. Some just like to keep their mouths shut and not share with the class. 
As for my favorite to write about? I love all of them. I have no favorites. Guys... They're looking at me. Do you have any idea how hard this question is to answer when I'm being stared at by three characters? It's awful, I tell you! Awful!
 Oh! They just got distracted. I'll try to make this quick and tell you before they get back.
 My favorite, without a doubt, is Tolliver. She is just so quirky, fun and feisty! She'll do things just to get a reaction from her guardian and sometimes I have to pause and stare at the screen because I cannot believe she just did that! 

Q 4. Has your novel surprised you in any way?

*laughs nervously* No. Not all. Ignore the horrible disease that just appeared out of nowhere and that scares me to death. 

 Ignore the underground newspaper. It doesn't exist! Sh! Don't listen to my characters. 
Oh! And the biggest surprise? There was a character who was supposed to have left the city. In my original plans, he was supposed to have left early in the story. Now, he's showing up and threatening my protagonist and antagonist/protagonist. I mean... WHAT? 

Image result for what gif


Q 5. Have you come across any problem areas?

No! Of course not! Why would you say that? *shoves plot holes under the carpet* 






Dust Hide It GIF

Okay, so I'm a plantser. I plan some things out, but mostly I just write by the "seat of my pants". There will inevitably be parts that need patching, character that need help and better description thrown into the mix. But hey! That's what editing is for, right?




Q 6. What's been your biggest victory with writing this novel at this point?

Being able to write every day, so far. I'm not going to lie. This month has been a whirlwind of emotions. The beginning of this month, I had to deal with a loss in the family and the emotions that came with that. For a while, I didn't feel like doing much except crying, but I continued to write through that and I firmly believe that writing helped me process things during those days.

Q 7. If you were transported into your novel and became any one of the characters, which one do you think you'd be? Would you take any different actions than they have?

Oh, dear... Let me think. I don't think I'd be able to deal with the lives that my main characters have, so it would have to be a side character. There's a character that makes a hard choice to stay in a dangerous area and help people and I'd like to think that I'd be this character. For now, her name will stay a secret. I'm not sure if I would have taken a different action than her, but I might have gotten the kids in her care out of there. It's a hard choice right now because they don't really have anywhere else to go.

Q 8. Give us the first sentence or paragraph then 2 (or 3!) more favorite snippets.

*Note: To separate the quotes from the rest of the text, I've enclosed them in brackets. Hope this helps. There are probably typos, but it's a first draft. This is raw and unedited. Also, the formatting totally got thrown to the wind when I tried to copy and paste it. Not sure why.

First sentence:


[“Excuse me?” a small, feminine voice said.]


Snippet 1 (a bit of Ross and Tolliver, two of my MCs): 


[She placed her head on her arms and looked up at him. “How much longer?”
Ross pulled out his watch from his coat pocket. “Five more minutes. I got a call to go down to the docks. Do you want to come?”
“I thought you’d never ask,” she said dryly. 
“I supposed you just wanted to stay in your room all day and work on all that needlework,” Ross jibed. He winked.
Tolliver laughed. “Very funny and don’t you dare call me Elizabeth. I’m not one of those proper ladies. I don’t have time for needlework.”
“It is your name, you know,” Ross said, writing something down with his pencil. He folded up the paper and stuck it in his pocket. 
“I know, but I don’t have to like it.” ]


Snippet 2 (My MC/Antagonist, James Quinn, featuring a very tiny fairy):

[“I might be able to help,” the fairy said. She walked over to him. She tumbled and grasped his arm for balance.
 James groaned. “Unless you have some inspiration, somewhere, some fix to get rid of this block, you really can’t. Perhaps my father was right. Writing is a worthless pursuit.”
She frowned. “Never,” she said. ]

Q 9. Share an interesting tidbit about the writing process so far! [ For example: Have you made any hilarious typos? Derailed from your outline? Killed off a character? Changed projects entirely? Anything you want to share!]
I usually write early in the morning from 7 a.m. to 8 a.m. (I found out early on this year that this was an hour in which nothing else was going on so I made it my writing hour.).
 During NaNoWriMo, I've taken this hour and got as close to my word count as I could and then, providing it was a day that I could take my laptop to work, I lugged my computer in my backpack and got the rest of the words at work.
 Fun note: I've noticed that because I do a lot of my writing at work in the evenings, the NaNoWriMo website has dubbed me a "mid-morning flamingo." I'm not even sure what that means, but I'm taking it as a compliment.
 Typos? I've had plenty, but for the life of me, I can't seem to remember any particularly memorable ones. I know I've made some on purpose because one of my characters is a ten-year-old kid and he can't say things quite right or spell things correctly all the time. 
 Yes, I've derailed from my outline because my characters are very stubborn and have minds of their own. They like frustrating their author and running into trouble, even if I tell them not to.
 Killed off a character? Maaybee? My lips are sealed. Well, okay. There was that one character... and possibly another. Plans to kill off yet another... 

Q 10. Take us on a tour of what a normal writing day for this novel looks like. Where do you write? What time of day? Alone or with others? Is a lot of coffee ( or some other drink) consumed? Do you light candles? Play music? Get distracted by social media ( *cough, cough*)? Tell all!

So, I've touched on my normal writing times, but what I neglected to mention is the fact that I usually have a cup of hot earl grey tea with bergamot (it has to have bergamot. It's essential! Trust me on this.), with a dash of maple syrup, a teaspoon of vanilla stevia and a splash of almond milk. Steep for two minutes and remove the tea bag. (Yes, I'm very precise.)
 At home, I write in my room where I can hopefully pull thoughts from my brain in silence. (No writing music. I prefer to sit in silence. Oh, the horror!) 
 At work, there's music going on in the background, but I've heard it so many times that I just tune it out. Here, I usually write 25 minutes on and 5 minutes off so I can move around and do things. (That is, if I don't get distracted by social media. It happens, not gonna lie, but it's part of the process.) 
 Work brings a whole new selection of drinks, usually water and/or a Bia drink for an afternoon boost of caffeine. 
If I absolutely need to listen to music, I'll usually listen to it in the car, away from my writing space. I listen to a lot of instrumental/choral music like "Two Steps from Hell" and "Epic Trailer Music". Ambient Mixer.com has a bunch of ambient sounds you can either string together to create an atmosphere of your own, or select one that someone else created. It's super cool! 
 Sometimes I'll listen to music with lyrics and they'll provide inspiration. Some of my favorite bands which have provided inspiration for Tear and a lot of my short stories are: Twenty One Pilots and Owl City. 
 NaNoWriMo has been great for boosting creativity all the way around. All I want to do is write, read and create little projects like charm bracelets and fan art. I mean, isn't that great? 
  
Image result for distracted minion GIF


So, that's all for today! Hope you've enjoyed a brief peek into my crazy month.
Now I want to hear from you. Are you doing NaNoWriMo? How's it going? Have you been able to stay on track or have you got distracted from all the creative juices flowing too?
 Let me know in the comment section below. I'd love to hear from you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NaNoWriMo Know Your Novel Introduction

NaNoWriMo Know the Novel: Introduction

Hello, 2022!