Book Review: Empire of Blood by Olivia Cornwell




Today is the release day for Olivia Cornwell's debut novel, Empire of Blood.  
I was offered an ARC (advanced reader copy) for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.


Empire of Blood Review:



I will confess that I've read this book twice now, and I plan on reading it a third time before the year is out. Each time gets better and better. Each read I notice something different, some aspect of character, some bit of scenery, some daring tidbit of plot, that just adds to the wonderful thing that is this book.

Setting: 5/ 5 stars

I've never visited Chicago, but the author did an excellent job of transporting me there and then to her world of Allare. The descriptions were vivid without being wordy. The world is dangerous, but I'd still love to visit some day, (if only it were real!).

Plot: 5/5 stars

Overall, great plot. It was pretty fast-paced, but had space so the reader can take a breath before plunging onward. Fair warning: Wait for a night where you have nothing else to do before reading the last ten chapters. 

Characters: 10/5 stars

Yes, I know it's only supposed to be 5/5, but I LOVE these characters! They deserve the world, just not the bad guys. I've got other words for them. Interesting characters with engaging arcs. I NEED more please! Give me all the books with these characters. Please and thank you.

Overall thoughts:

Empire of Blood is a fast-paced fantasy novel with lovely twists and turns that keep the reader turning the pages well into the night. I've seldom read a novel that feels as much as home as The Chronicles of Narnia  by C. S. Lewis, but this came really close. This book hit all the right chords for me: fun while giving me things to think on, hilarious, but giving room for catharsis. This is an absolutely beautiful book, and I need the next one today. I look forward to seeing what Olivia Cornwell writes in the future.



 If you are interested in reading this novel, it is available for purchase here: Empire of Blood by Olivia Cornwell



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NaNoWriMo Know Your Novel Introduction

Hello, 2022!

NaNoWriMo Know the Novel: Introduction